Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stepping out of the Shell

The commentary that follows is merely my reflection on change specifically change in career.

I titled this blog entry "Stepping out of the Shell" because it  is something we should all do - getting out of the comfort zone,  away from familiar people, processes and culture surely makes one reflect, think, appreciate differences and most importantly, discover a lot about oneself.

And until we step out of our bubble we will never know how different the world is or what greater opportunity awaits. While we are comfortable, we tend to think that the people and the things around us are perhaps the best we can have.

But as E.M. Forster said, "How do I know what I think until I see what I say." How can you know you have the best unless you have what to compare it to and that has been my experience lately. Today, in our careers, we must not only be ambitious but we must be willing to face challenges and see them as opportunities.

Much as I thought I had a great career opportunity, deep inside I longed for something bigger - more challenging - I was ready to move on but all along I also talked myself into thinking I was in the perfect happy bubble. But the realization of this false self talk came to be when the bubble burst and work as I knew it evaporated into thin air.  My position ceased to be once the company was acquired and I figured it was time to step out of the shell - to understand my own thinking and to see what I was saying, discover what I was feeling.

This change taught me two very important lessons: Follow your heart and inner feeling always and never allow one manager's perception of your ability and readiness to slow down your growth.  Career growth can only be nurtured by us - we need to have a plan, build a valuable network and get feedback from others out of our inner circle.

And so I discovered that a manager who sincerely sees the potential and desire in an employee begins to open the opportunities for that employee.  They identify growth positions and set you free to discover, learn and grow.  Career growth is like seeing a child wanting to learn how to ride a bike and never telling that child that he or she is not ready yet.  But rather giving them the support, showing them the how and letting them go. Low and behold they start on a tricycle and very quickly they are riding a bicycle.

It is also important to know that when you are within an area for too long, you risk your potential to be underestimated and your abilities not really seen for their worth. Once you step outside the shell, you will find others see you differently and you are better able to get the bigger opportunity you longed for.

I am happy my old bubble burst and I came upon new people and faced new scenarios.  I was seen for what I was worth and I found higher grounds.  Change is good!  Build your network and put it to work,
  

1 comment:

  1. Having had managers who didn't believe in my potential, as well as one currently who sees my potential far beyond what I can sometimes see, I really enjoyed reading this piece. You made some good points we should all remind ourselves of.

    ReplyDelete